ELAC Meeting Schedule
Each California public school with 21 or more English learners must form an English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
The ELAC shall be responsible for the following tasks:
- Advising the principal and staff in the development of a site plan for English learners and submitting the plan to the School Site Council for consideration of inclusion in the School Plan for Student Achievement.
- Assisting in the development of the schoolwide needs assessment.
- Ways to make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
- Each ELAC shall have the opportunity to elect at least one member to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC). Districts with 31 or more ELACs may use a system of proportional or regional representation.
Parents or guardians of English learners shall constitute at least the same percentage of the ELAC membership as their children represent of the student body.
The parents or guardians of English learners shall elect the parent members of ELAC. Parents or guardians of English learners shall be provided the opportunity to vote in the election.
ELAC members shall receive training materials and training which will assist them in carrying out their required advisory responsibilities. Training shall be planned in full consultation with committee members, and funds from appropriate resources may be used to meet the costs of providing the training to include costs associated with the attendance of members at training sessions.
- California Education Code, sections 35147, 52176(b) and (c), 62002.5, and 64001(a)
- California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 11308
ELAC Meeting Minutes